Healthy Recipe, Steak Salad
This also works with ranch dressing instead of blue cheese, and chicken breasts instead of steak. But if you’re ready for a healthy variation on this classic, it’s all good here. From The Washington Post.
For the steak and green beans
· 1 (12- to 15-ounce) New York strip steak, at least 1-inch thick, ideally with a fat cap
· 3/4 teaspoon fine sea or table salt, divided
· 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper, divided
· 10 to 12 ounces fresh green beans, trimmed
For the salad and dressing
· 4 to 5 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
· 1/2 cup plain yogurt
· 1/4 cup mayonnaise
· 2 tablespoons mustard, preferably Dijon
· 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
· 1 small bunch (about 20) chives, minced (1/4 cup) and divided
· 1 small head (10 to 12 ounces) iceberg lettuce, chopped
· 2 ounces (about 2 well-packed cups) mixed greens (optional)
· 8 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
· Flaky sea salt, to taste (optional)
Heat a large cast-iron skillet over high heat, on the stove or a grill, for 1 minute. Season the steak on all sides with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. Using tongs, stand the steak on its narrow side in the pan, fat side down, to render some of the fat, 1 to 2 minutes.
Lay the steak down into its fat and cook, undisturbed, until it’s well browned on the bottom, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip and cook until well browned but still slightly red in the center, 2 to 3 minutes. (Continue cooking for an additional 3 to 5 minutes if you’d like it well done.) Reduce the heat to low and use tongs to transfer the steak to a cutting board and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Cover with a sheet of aluminum foil or a plate to keep warm.
Add the green beans to the skillet, and raise the heat to high. Season with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and sauté, stirring until blistered and darkened in some places, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from the heat.
Make the dressing: In a small bowl, combine the blue cheese, yogurt, mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon of pepper and about half of the minced chives and stir with a spoon until combined.
To serve: In a large, wide bowl or serving platter, combine the iceberg, mixed greens, if using, cherry tomatoes and green beans and sprinkle in the remaining chives. Slice the steak against the grain and lay it on top. Sprinkle with the flaky sea salt, if using. Serve the steak and salad with the dressing on the side.
Per serving (about 2 cups of salad and green beans and about 3 ounces of steak), based on 4
Calories: 367; Total Fat: 23 g; Saturated Fat: 8 g; Cholesterol: 86 mg; Sodium: 989 mg; Carbohydrates: 12 g; Dietary Fiber: 4 g; Sugars: 7 g; Protein: 29 g.