Healthy Recipe, Summer Vegetable Spaghetti
This lively vegetarian pasta dish contains no added fat or oil, is low in cholesterol, and is good hot or cold. From the US Department of Health & Human Services.
· 2 C small yellow onions, peeled and cut into eighths
· 2 C chopped, peeled, ripe tomatoes (about 1 lb)
· 2 C thinly sliced yellow and green squash (about 1 lb)
· 1½ C fresh green beans, trimmed (about ½ lb)
· ⅔ C water
· 2 Tbsp minced fresh parsley
· 1 clove garlic, minced
· ½ tsp chili powder
· ¼ tsp salt
· Ground black pepper, to taste
· 1 can (6 oz) no-salt-added tomato paste
· 1 lb uncooked spaghetti
· ½ C grated parmesan cheese
1. Combine first 10 ingredients in a large saucepan; cook for 10 minutes, then stir in the tomato paste. Cover and cook gently for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables artender.
2. Cook spaghetti in unsalted water according to package directions. Drain well.
3. Serve sauce over spaghetti. Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.
279 calories; 3g fat; 1g sat fat; 4mg cholesterol; 173mg sodium