Healthy Recipe, Watermelon-Cucumber Salad with Feta and Mint
Watermelon and cucumber are more than 90 percent water. They’re also good sources of fiber, vitamin C, and minerals. Plus, they’re delicious — especially when tossed in a tangy vinaigrette along with cooling fresh mint and chunks of feta for a creamy, salty contrast. SERVES 4. – Susan Puckett
· ¼ cup red wine vinegar
· 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
· 1 teaspoon honey
· ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt (plus more, to taste)
· ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (plus more, to taste)
· 4 cups diced watermelon
· 1 medium English cucumber, trimmed and diced
· 3 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
· 3 ounces feta cheese, cubed
· ¼ cup chopped fresh mint
1. Make the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, olive oil, honey, salt, and pepper.
2. Make the salad: In a large bowl, combine the watermelon, cucumber, scallions, and feta. Drizzle with the dressing and toss gently. The salad may be refrigerated up to 2 hours at this point.
3. Just before serving, add the mint and toss gently to combine.
Susan Puckett is a cookbook author and former food editor of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Follow her at susanpuckett.com.