Healthy Recipe, Green Bean Casserole
Forget the “classic” recipe that relies on canned beans and high-sodium, canned soups. Here’s a fresh, healthy version of the reliable holiday dish we can all feel good about.
1 1/2 pounds fresh green beans, ends trimmed and chopped into 1-inch pieces2 teaspoons olive oil8 ounces white or baby bella mushrooms, diced6 cloves garlic, chopped1 tablespoon thyme, dried or fresh1 1/2 cups 1% milk3/4 cup 2% Greek yogurt3 tablespoons all-purpose flour1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley1/2 teaspoon salt1/4 teaspoon pepper1 cup French Fried Onions
1. Preheat oven to 350F and lightly spray a 2-quart baking dish with cooking oil.
2. For crunchy beans, steam over a pot of boiling water until bright green and still crisp, about 3 minutes. For more tender beans, blanch in boiling water for 2-3 minutes, drain and then immediately submerge in an ice bath.
3. Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook for about 12 minutes, until liquid has evaporated, and they begin to brown. Add the garlic and thyme and cook for an additional 1 minute.
4. Combine mushroom mixture, salt, pepper and parsley in a food processor and process until smooth, about 1 minute.
5. Whisk the milk and flour together in a small saucepan until the flour has dissolved. Bring to a simmer over medium heat while whisking constantly until the mixture has thickened to a yogurt consistency, about 8-10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before combining with Greek yogurt and mushroom mixture.
6. Toss green beans in sauce and spoon into the prepared dish. Sprinkle the top with French fried onions. Bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes. Serve warm.
Nutritional Information Makes eight servings, 1 cup each 140 calories, 6g fat, 244mg sodium, 17g carbohydrates, 4g fiber, 7g protein
From My Fitness Pal